Board index Ask Les Sharma about PWL and this site Ask Les about PWL West End feat. Sybil

Sorry this forum is now closed for new postings or sign ups.
But I have left it online as a point of reference for people to read and learn from.

West End feat. Sybil

This forum is for the fans of PWL and the Stock Aitken Waterman sound. I worked at PWL from 1988 to 1998 as a Sound engineer and then mix engineer. If you have any questions about PWL / SAW please post them in this forum.
Les later worked with Aaron Gilbert under the name Big Time Charlie and produced two UK top 40 hit records 'On the run' and 'Mr.Devil'.

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:56 pm

Hi Les,

I hope to find you well.

"The Love I lost" was performed by West End feat. Sybil. Who was hiding behind West End?

What was their real role? When I check the credits, all instruments are played by Mike Stock, Jewels & Stone, Tony king and Asha.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Steve

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:56 pm
Les User avatar
Site Admin

Hi Steve,

West End was a man called Eddie Gordon / Tony King, Eddie Gordon was a man Pete got in to help with dance ideas in the studio.

Eddie Gordon was also Pete Tong's manager at the time and had big connections in the dance music world.

That was one record that has little of Mike Stock on it, Tony king and Asha (with help from Eddie Gordon) remixed it and most to all of Mike's keys were not on the main 7".

Mike would listen to 'Philly' soul records has he wrote songs, and I think it was his idea or Eddie Gordon's to cover the classic 'philly' 'The love I lost'.

Mike did a very Mike Stock pop version with the song, but it was really Tony King who turned the record round and created the monster 7" and 12" mixes with the cappella intro.

Pete Waterman understood the importest of dance music tends in making pop music / dance songs, in the very early PWL days he had Pete Tong bring in once a week the latest hot dance tracks, like the early 80's house tunes from the US (before anyone had heard them over here) and SAW created Mel & Kim records with the US house sound.
Later it would be Eddie Gordon and Kiss DJ Graham Gold bringing in the record for us to rip off.

A link about Eddie Gordon http://www.musictank.co.uk/eddie_gordon_comment.htm

And a link about Graham Gold www.grahamgold.com
Regards Les

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:20 am
wow

Hi Les,

Les wrote:
That was one record that has little of Mike Stock on it, Tony king and Asha (with help from Eddie Gordon) remixed it and most to all of Mike's keys were not on the main 7".

Mike would listen to 'Philly' soul records has he wrote songs, and I think it was his idea or Eddie Gordon's to cover the classic 'philly' 'The love I lost'.

Mike did a very Mike Stock pop version with the song, but it was really Tony King who turned the record round and created the monster 7" and 12" mixes with the cappella intro.

I guess this sort of thing was part of the reason Mike and Pete Waterman fell out? There's one interview where Mike Stock complained about the "cult of the mix."

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:19 am
Les User avatar
Site Admin

Mike / Matt were good writers, all songs need a sound and having the lastest dance records played to them help to create some of the records by SAW we all love.
Pete did go a bit dance crazy for a bit in the early 90's, he was making Mike do dance tracks with no songs, for a song writer like Mike this was hard.
Regards Les

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:42 pm

Thank you very much, Les.

Steve

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:08 pm
Les User avatar
Site Admin

No problem Steve :lol:
Regards Les

Return to Ask Les about PWL